FAQ from Clients and Community
Reablement is an approach that aims to assist people to continue living as they wish. Family members can be reluctant to accept a wellness and reablement approach for several reasons. By explaining what reablement is and that it can help you stay at home for longer may help them understand your decision.
Our factsheet will help you discuss reablement with your family. Click the link below to read more.
Assistive technology is the term used for any item or device which helps a person carry out an activity. See our guide ‘Making Choices, Finding Solutions’ for basic assistive technologies that can be easily found in the community.
Or take a look at our sister website ‘LiveUp‘ to find out more about healthy ageing.
Rehabilitation and Reablement both focus on helping people identify and achieve goals. Rehabilitation has been historically known as a high-intensity intervention in hospitals and out-patient settings with formal assessments of function.
Rehabilitation often involves a multi-disciplinary team
Reablement focuses on supporting and restoring functional ability for individuals at home and is an active process of regaining skills and confidence. It is mostly prompted by a decline in health or function rather than a specific event or illness.
Find the resources you need on KeepAble
Check out our ‘Links to resources‘ page here to find all our free and available downloadable resources.
Resources for Homecare Providers
- It’s time to get serious about goal settingFor those accessing aged care supports, setting goals and planning towards achieving them provides the person a voice, making them and what they wish to achieve the focal point of the support being provided.
- Guide to writing support plansA support plan provides guidance to clients and support staff so they can work together to achieve the client’s goals.
- Making choices, finding solutionsThis guide has been developed so people can make informed decisions when choosing assistive technology and home modification solutions. Review the eBook online.
- Preparing your annual wellness and reablement reportCompiling your annual wellness and reablement report requires preparation and ensuring you have collected the right data.
- Assistive Technology Essentials (Part one)The aim of this guide is to build awareness and knowledge among Commonwealth Home Support Programme
(CHSP) service providers and the broader aged care sector of the benefits of Assistive Technology (AT) and the role it plays as part of a wellness and reablement service delivery approach with improved outcomes for older people.
- Assistive Technology Essentials (Part two)Assistive Technology Essentials Part 2 is a guide for consumers, families, practitioners, and the home support sector that support them. Based on the best available evidence and extensive practice knowledge, this resource is a valuable knowledge translation tool in the rapidly evolving landscape of assistive technology.
- Group Social Support – It starts with a conversationInitial conversations undertaken with clients need to explore how they previously socialised, what prevents them from returning to previous activities, how long has it been, and how they envisage their social network to look in the future.
- KeepAble resources to downloadThis page provides links to all our resources for download on one page. We do suggest reading the supporting articles however to gain a true understanding of the accompanying resource.